Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Romulus and Juliet

This is the author’s comment for the first story I’m posting on my story blog and for good reason too. Its one of the first stories I wrote on the book AND it was well-liked by the people I let read it.

The idea for this story came to me while I was poking around wikipedia. I was trying to find connections between myths, legends and stories of different cultures. [That’s something I do out of interest. =P] As I looked around, I came across Romeo and Juliet; a well-known literary masterpiece. As I read up no the characters, I noticed a rather interesting [pointless and purely coincidental] similarity between “ROME-o” and “ROM-ulus” who was the founder of the city of “ROME.”

That was the spark. After that, I fervently looked through the histories of both the character Romeo and the king Romulus and tried to find parallels. Hell, you can find the parallels between literally anything if you look hard enough. ^^

Anyway, I took the Romeo and Juliet story and decided to give it a right good twist. The rest is research and stuff… ._.

The thing about this story, as pointed out to me, was that it was a bit similar to the kind of stories you’d find in the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. [Think the cast of A Midsummer Night’s Dream show up to watch the same play…] That maybe true. That was a highly Sandman-fan phase of my life. ^^ I’m not saying it’s inspired by it or anything. It’s just a story idea I had and I went with it.

If I were to criticise the story, I’d first point out what I like about it. The character Tatia was one I enjoyed writing. I wanted to show differences between the 1900s woman and the Sabine girl way back then. But I also wanted a strong female lead. I am accustomed to writing from the male POV so this proved to be a bit different. I hope I did it reasonably well…

What I don’t like about the story are the transitions between the 1900s and ancient Rome. Sure, it would look EXCELLENT in comic, movie or cartoon form. But it takes a fair amount of writing to pull off as just a story. I’ve tried to ignore it as to not make it so prominent. I’m hoping that the imagination of the reader can fill in the blanks. Or something…

Either way, over-all I am very satisfied with this story. It’s a good start and I hope to carry on writing. Maybe one day I will revisit Tatia’s story. I have a feeling that she hasn’t said all she has to say just yet… =)

17 comments:

Unknown said...

wow man... this is so awesome. am havin a hard time believing u wrote this (but then again, when i think abt it, you write awesome stuff all the time *shrugs*)
anyway, real good read man... keep up the good work! ;)
lookin forward to readin more!

♥ DAYDREAMER ♥ said...

aarrrkyyy O_o .. naaaaise work .. xD ... itx so awsumee .. i have a fylin ur gunna be an awsumee writer sumday .. thn again u already are sorta one.. n n i totally luv the templatee .. xD n i thnk itx totally kewl u have a story blogg .. luv em al XD .. luk forward to read more awsume awsume writingx of urx !! .. XOXO =P

Anonymous said...

dude..nice work..keep it up and i get to say the next j.k.rowling used to be in my class :P

Anonymous said...

dude this is soo cool..nice writing..and yea i agre wit shaam that i had a hard tym beliveing that u wrote this,bt still i also knw u kik ass wit a pen and a paper ;)
hope u become a great writer sumday..u can do it... love to hear more:D cheers

Anonymous said...

dis is even better than i thought it wud be...awesome work my twin!!!!! =P

lilac wraith said...

You blab a lot, and you repeat stuff more then angella carter does. And I think it's a bit over done at places, maybe you did a bit too good a job of writing it in a female perspective ^_~, but I like it. I like the concept and the quirky way its written and stuff.

Arkturus said...

shaam : thanks man. i hope to give u more. ^^

mux : thanks. ^^

para : rowling is NOT a man!! >_<

anko : thanks man. means a lot. :)

nyn : thanks. i hope you enjoy other stories too.

lilac : thanks a lot. i think. :P i'll try to fix the babbling. but this WAS my first female POV. ^^' your comment means a lot. thanks. i'll try to do better. :) i know it can. ^^

Anonymous said...

wow o.O amaazing!! i loved eeet ^_^ yaiy come up with more stories! XD would love to read em

Anonymous said...

sweeeeeeeet!! luv da story , endin and narration though i had to luk up som words in da dictionary to get da meaning eheheh.. keep em comin :D u mite even mak a livin out of dis stuff.. seriously :D

Anonymous said...

i knw iv said that i havent been commenting coz iv read it before.. and i have. and even though i read it again and again, i still keep having the same effect. though at some places i feel a particularly strong jolt. am glad u changed some stuff when u wrote them again. right now, i dont have time to point out exactly which places but dont worry, im gonna comment again.
im rly glad that u decided to blog ur stories.. it looks awsome. i can see how much effort uv put into both writing the stories and making this blog look picture perfect :)
ps. nothing was ever completely at its best in the beginning. i encourage u to keep writing and keep doing better :)

Anonymous said...

and btw.. the whole 'it still has the same effect' comment wasnt an insult. just wanted to let u knw that its still just as good, incase u didnt get that :p
:)

blu3rain said...

Hmm, at first a 'comment' escaped me 'coz I was mostly just very mad at you... Romeo & Juliet happens to be (unsurprisingly) my fav works of Shakespeare... and I was thinking...why the heck did you have to go and shamelessly try to ruin it... but then, I gotta admit, that was some pretty awesome shtuff... plot and character included =D

x

blu3rain said...

ps. your female p.o.v was great..captured wisdom and pain of a woman pretty good *impressed*

pps. *pricks your ego balloon* you can get back down to earth now =P

Arkturus said...

@ poot : lol. i hope i haven't 'ruined' it per se. :P i just wanted to play around with the idea of 'Death as Romance' and try a deconstruction. ^^

my reference for the female POV thing was a) a VERY dilute version of Wheel of Time, b) a tiny bit of A Game of You from Neil Gaiman's Sandman along with c) the Hallmark channel. :P

out of which, WoT women are arrogant jerkasses and Hallmark women are weepy. >.<

shades 'o' grey said...

Whoas Rondo [mwahhahahahha] awesome writing O_O ....you really wrote this? :/ *iz amazed* . Aaany wai :D its really good :) Keep em coming ^_^ *iz now an official fan of the black book :3*

nashwa said...

this story is so cool.u knw,u should write a whole big book and publish it.i love ur stories!!

OftenAn said...

arky... its way better than 'Romeo and Juliet'!!!

this is my first visit to ur blog... and OMG!! this is unbelievable!